Many benefits are given to Persons With Disabilities or PWD, like discounts, tax incentives, educational assistance and more. But before you can enjoy those benefits, you must have a PWD ID card.
Don’t know how to get one? Don’t worry. I am here to help. In this article we will learn the latest requirements and procedures on how to get PWD ID card.
The Magna Carta Law for disabled Persons the government implemented to distinguish, support, protect and recognize their rights as PWD by giving them benefits and privileges.
PWD ID card is FREE and NO CHARGE. It has a 3-year expiration. One needs to renew it every 3-year. When renewing, you need the same requirements but recent and latest documents.
How to Get PWD ID Card
The applicant or the family member can go to any of the following offices where he/she resides to submit the requirements:
- Office of the Mayor
- Office of the Barangay Captain
- National Council on Disability Affairs (NCDA) or its regional counterpart
- DSWD Offices
- Participating organizations with memorandum of agreements with the Department of Health
- Bring a valid government ID and Barangay Clearance.
- Bring your accomplished Philippine Registry Form for Persons with Disability. Forms are available on local government offices, National Council on Disability Affairs, Department of Health, and Department of Social Welfare and Development. You may also download the file or register online at the Department of Health’s Philippine Registry For Persons With Disability.
- Provide a medical certificate or clinical abstract from a physician. It should include the doctor’s name, signature, and license number.
- Prepare two 2×2 ID picture for the application form, and one 1X1 ID picture for medicine booklet
If a family member or a caretaker is the one processing, the disabled person needs to provide authorization letter.
The forms will be forwarded to the health center near your municipality after the verification of submitted documents. After the appointed officer fill out a certification form,he or she will input the submitted data to the Philippine Registry for PWD.
Certificate of disability and approved application form must be submitted to the nearest office of Social Welfare, DSWD ot NCDA for actual issuance of ID. Typically, only takes a few minutes to be issued.
How Long is the Process in Getting PWD ID?
As I mention earlier, it only takes a few minutes especially if the doctors from the Health Office are here to issue the medical certificate.
Persons With Disabilities Benefits:
- 20% discount for all services in hotels and similar lodging establishments, restaurants & recreation centers.
- At least 20% discount in public railways, skyways and bus fare for the exclusive use or enjoyment of Persons with Disabilities
- At least 20% discount on medical & dental services including (diagnostic and laboratory fees & professional fees of attending doctors in all private hospitals & medical facilities).
- At least 20% discount for all purchase of medicines in all drugstores.
- A minimum of 20% discount on admission fees on theaters, cinema houses, concert hall, circuses carnivals and other similar places of culture, leisure and amusement.
- Provision of express lanes for Persons With Disabilities in all commercial and government establishments.
- Special discounts (5%) in special programs for Persons With Disabilities on purchase of basic commodities (with guidelines from DTI & DA).
- Continuation of benefits of GSIS, SSS & PAG-IBIG (previously employed) as the case may be necessary.
- At least 20% discount on fare for domestic air and sea travel.
- Educational assistance to pursue primary, secondary, tertiary, post tertiary, vocational or technical education in public & private schools thru scholarship grants, financial aids, subsidies and other incentives such as books, learning materials & uniform allowance(DEPED).